Lecture User Interface Design / Summer term 2016
|Time||Tuesday, 4:00-5:30 PM (16:00-17:30 Uhr)
Wednesday, 2:15-3:45 PM (14:15-15:45 Uhr)
|Place||Lecture hall 001 in E1.3|
|Links||Course moodle, LSF|
- This lecture is renamed to Core Lecture Human-Computer Interaction from 2017. [link].
- Updated information on how to access the course moodle in the exercises section.
- The first exercise session will take place on Friday, May 6th.
- The lecture hall has changed. The lecture will now be in Hall 001 in E1 3.
- The first lecture will take place on Tuesday, April 19th at 4:15 PM.
This course is intended as an introduction to the methods and scientific background of the field of human-computer interaction – in particular, user interface design and evaluation.
- What is user interface design? Good and poor design
- Fundamentals of interaction
- Cognitive aspects
- Design principles and guidelines
- Interface Types
- Input and output devices
- Desktop user interfaces, graphical user interfaces
- Mobile user interfaces, natural and gesture-based user interfaces
- Social and emotional user interfaces
- User-centered design
- Data gathering and analysis
- Establishing requirements
- Design and Prototyping
- Evaluation with users
For taking part in one of the exercise groups, you have to register in the course moodle:
Students of computer science and related fields (e.g. media informatics or bio informatics):
The moodle uses the same login as the CS owncloud. A password for your account should have been sent to your UdS email about a year ago. If you cannot find it, please send an email to Alexander FaußAlexander Fauß from the CS department to receive a new password.
All other students:
Send an email with your UdS email address to Daniel Gröger to receive a moodle account.
|Date & Time||Place||Tutor|
|Monday, 12-14||Room 0.01, Building E 1.7 (MMCI)||Kevin Müllerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Thursday, 14-16||Room 0.01, Building E 1.7 (MMCI)||Jan Ehrlichemail@example.com|
|Friday, 12-14||Room 0.01, Building E 1.7 (MMCI)||Omair Shahzad Bhattifirstname.lastname@example.org|
If you find any serious conflicts with these dates, please write a short email to Daniel Gröger.
You do not have to register for this lecture beforehand. Just come to the first lecture and then register for an exercise group.
Important: Later in the semester, a few weeks before the exam, you have to register for the exam on HISPOS. The registration must be made no later than one week before the exam.
- Exam: Wednesday 03.08.16 10am-12 (10-12 Uhr) – Günter-Hotz-Hörsaal in E 2.2
- Re-Exam: Thursday 29.09.16 2-4pm (14-16 Uhr) – Günter-Hotz-Hörsaal in E 2.2
The lecture will be based on the book:
Interaction Design: Beyond Human-Computer Interaction (Rogers et al, 3rd ed.)
- Shneiderman, B., Plaisant, C.: Designing the User Interface, Pearson, 5th ed.
- Butz, A., Krüger, A.: Mensch-Maschine-Interaktion, De Gruyter
- Preim, B., Dachselt, R.: Interaktive Systeme, Springer, 2nd edition (two volumes)
- Dix, A.: Human-Computer Interaction, Pearson, 3rd edition
All books are available in the library (paper copy, some of them also electronic, see here http://www.infomath-bib.de/tmp/vorlesungen/info-basic_user-interface-design.html).
Slides and assignments will be made available on moodle.
Please see the section on exercises for details on how to login.
Prof. Dr. Jürgen Steimle
Omair Shahzad Bhatti
Note: If you have a question, please ask your assigned tutor first.